Insightful and just what I needed to hear! I hope someone else finds encouragement and the strength to keep writing in these words.
It’s a tough gig being a writer. Lots of isolation, lots of intense concentration, lots of rejection from publishers and agents. Sitting in a cafe with coffee and fountain pen is one of the good bits.
Why do I write? It’s a good question to ask yourself.
- Because I’m a fool.
- Because I want to impress my old school friends.
- So people will like me.
- So my friends will hate me.
- I’m no good at speaking up.
- So I can invent a new way of looking at the world.
- In order to write the great Australian novel and become famous.
- Because I’m a nut case.
- Because I’m an undiscovered literary genius.
- Because I have something to tell.
- Because I have nothing to tell.
Hemingway has said, ‘Not the why, but the what.’ It’s enough to know you want to write. Write.
One of my favourite books on the writing process…
View original post 534 more words