So I moved. To an apartment. All by myself (queue that one song that goes “Alll byy myseeeelf” by Celine Dion). And it’s kinda awesome. But also lonely. But also super cool. And messy. And other things.
How I feel right now…
- Crappy. So there’s a dark feeling in my gut that I haven’t felt since college day 1 when I was like: “Oh, huh, my parents are gone. I don’t know anyone. I didn’t think this all the way through.”
- Lonely. (Bear in mind I’m being dramatic because I have some very near and dear friends within 30 minutes.) But I hear people laughing and hanging out by the pool and it hits me that I’m starting over again.
- Empty. I went from a house with 12 guys/girls and this new place is dang quiet (which they promised me that when I toured but I kinda thought “ya ok sure of course it’s ‘quiet’ so was my college house made of paper walls”). Turns out they were telling the truth. Turns out I miss the noise.
What I’m going to do about it…
- Take time. I’m going to take some time to feel the feelings but not get stuck in them, I just need to acknowledge and most past them. Turns out that’s the healthy way of doing things. Who knew.
- Take life into my own hands. Easier said than done… But I’ve already got a plan cooking; it’s far away from the kitchen and into the pool area. I’m going to take some beer and a book down so that I can attract intelligent friends or – at the very least – ones who enjoy cheap beer. I’ll see where things go and be open-minded. If nothing else, maybe I’ll finally pick up on the vibes around here.
- Take away bad habits. And replace them with some healthier ones. The ones I’ve been putting off until I “got a job” and then “graduated college” and then “moved to my own place.” I gotta stop waiting around for these magical moments that just aren’t evvvver going to happen. I’ve lived here a month and tell myself “once I get settled in”. NO LINDSEY, NOW. TBD how well this goes, but at least it’s a start.
Notice how this goes from recognizing emotions to taking actions to feel better. What can you do today to make for a happier tomorrow?